(PCS-1404: displacement 338 (full load); 1ength 136'0"; beam 24'6"; draft 8'7"; speed 14.1 knots (trial); complement 57; armament 1 3", 1 40 millimeter, 2 20 millimeter, 1 dcp. (mousetrap), 2 depth charge tracks; class PCS-1376)
Armistead Rust-born in Campbell County, Va., on 12 July 1862-was appointed a cadet engineer at the Naval Academy on 1 October 1881. After completing the course of instruction, he was detached from the Naval Academy on 1 June 1885 to await orders for the two years of sea duty that preceded graduation at that time. Following service in Tennessee and Richmond, he returned to Annapolis in the spring of 1887 for graduation, received his diploma on 15 June 1887, and was commissioned an ensign on 1 July 1887.
During the next three years, Rust served successively in the Bureau of Navigation and the sloops of war Saratoga, Constellation, and Jamestown. In December 1890, he began an assignment ashore. Following four months of ordnance duty at the Washington Navy Yard, he reported to the Proving Ground at Indian Head, Md., on 7 April 1892 for similar service. In September 1892, Rust went home for a year's leave of absence. Upon his return to active service at the end of August 1893, Ens. Rust went to sea in Pinta. Following duty in connection with the recommissioning of the armored cruiser Boston in September and October of 1895 and a brief assignment to Ranger from late October to early December, he was transferred to Monterey and served in her until September of 1896 when he went home on three months of leave. At the end of November 1896, Ens. Rust commenced another ordnance assignment at Indian Head.
Newly promoted Lt. (jg.) Rust was detached from the Proving Ground on 11 November 1897 and reported on board the gunboat Newport a week later. During the Spanish-American War, he served successively in Newport, Hist, and Princeton. On 10 June 1899, Rust was promoted to lieutenant while still serving in Princeton. Between January 1900 and March 1901, Lt. Rust served in Don Juan de Austria and Scindia. After a tour of duty ashore at Bath, Maine, as inspector of equipment and ordnance, he returned to sea in Montgomery in July 1902 and served in her until September 1904. Following an assignment to Minneapolis between November 1904 and January 1906, Lt. Comdr. Rust moved ashore once again as a gunnery instructor at the Washington Navy Yard.
In November 1907, he reported to the Bureau of Equipment in Washington in conjunction with preparations for a hydrographic survey of the southern coast of Cuba between Cape Cruz and Casilda. Lt. Comdr. Rust directed that mission during the first five months of 1908 and reported back to Washington in June. Late in October, he returned to Cuba to resume direction of the hydrographic survey and to assume command of Hist. He was promoted to commander on 4 November 1908. Comdr. Rust completed his tour of hydrographic duty in October 1910 and went to Louisiana (Battleship No. 19). He was detached from that warship in August 1911 and soon began two months of temporary duty at the Bureau of Ordnance. On 26 October 1911, Comdr. Rust assumed command of Baltimore (Cruiser No. 3) with additional duty as captain of the yard at the Charleston Navy Yard.
On 2 July 1912, he was placed on the retired list in the rank of captain, to date from 30 June 1912. Capt. Rust was called back to active duty on 4 April 1917, two days before the United States entered World War I. For the remainder of 1917 and the first five months of 1918, he served as an inspector of ordnance-first at Philadelphia and, later, at Hagerstown, Md. Early in June 1918, he was transferred back to Philadelphia where he served on the staff of the Commandant, 4th Naval District, chairing boards investigating maritime mishaps. Capt. Rust resumed his retirement on 23 July 1919 and took office as the superintendent of the Massachusetts Nautical Academy. He served in that post until 29 April 1932 when he moved to Annapolis. Capt. Rust died on 29 December 1941 at the Naval Hospital, Annapolis, Md. Capt. Rust, an expert on navigation, wrote several books on the subject.
PCS-1404 was laid down on 15 May 1943 at Stockton, Calif., by the Colberg Boat Works; launched on 12 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frank J. Castiglione; and commissioned on 30 March 1944, Lt. W. H. Beatty, Jr., in command.
After completing outfitting and shadedown training, the submarine chaser departed San Diego on 4 May 1944. Steaming by way of Pearl Harbor and the Marshall Islands, she arrived at Saipan in the Mariana Islands on 17 June. There, she supported theoccupation of that island and Guam by providing antisubmarine protection for ships bringing in supplies to the troops ashore. Between 26 July and 15 August, the warship made a round-trip voyage from the Marianas to Eniwetok for repairs. Upon her return, PCS-1404 resumed her patrol duties among the islands of the Marianas. She sailed for Oahu on 27 September and reached Pearl Harbor on 15 October. The vessel then operated in the Hawaiian Islands until 24 January 1945.
On that day, PCS-1404 headed back to the Central Pacific. Sailing via the Marshalls, she arrived at Guam on 13 February 1945 but stayed only three days. On the 16th, she put to sea in the screen of a convoy bound for Iwo Jima. Arriving there on the 20th, the warship patrolled the vicinity of the Volcano Islands until the 26th when she shaped a course back to the Marianas. The ship arrived at Saipan on 2 March only to put to sea the next day under tow of tank landing ship LST-808 and rescue tug ATR-94, bound for the Philippines. The little convoy reached Leyte on 9 March.
Ten days later, under her own power once again, PCS-1404 departed Leyte on her way to Okinawa. On the following day, 20 March 1945, she was named Armistead Rust, reclassified a surveying ship, and redesignated AGS-9. The ship spent the period 26 March to 30 June engaged in hydrographic surveying operations around Kerama Retto. In July, she returned to the Philippines, and carried out surveys of those waters for the next 11 months.
On 9 June 1946, Armistead Rust was decommissioned at Subic Bay, Luzon. Her name was stricken from the Navy list on 21 October 1948, and she was sold to Mr. James N. Pierce on 28 October 1948.
Armistead Rust earned three battle stars during World War II, two as PCS-1404 and one as Armistead Rust (AGS-9)