R 000000Z APR 20
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/ BATTLE OF MIDWAY COMMEMORATION EXECUTION ORDER//
AMPN/REF A IS THE OPNAVINST 5726.8B OUTREACH: AMERICA'S NAVY/
REF B IS NAVADMIN 026/20 BATTLE OF MIDWAY PLANNING ORDER//
RMKS/1. This message is a Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Execution Order (EXORD) for events in support of the U.S. Navy’s 78th anniversary commemoration of the Battle of Midway (BOM), beginning on 3 June and ending on 7 June. EXORD to be carried out in accordance with references (A) and (B).
a. Although current events related to the mitigation of the effects of COVID-19 have sharply curtailed our ability to conduct large-scale public events, it is still an important part of our mission to remain a learning organization and, whenever possible, to commemorate the U.S. Navy’s rich history and proud heritage. Our past is replete with examples of toughness, initiative, accountability, and integrity on the part of American Sailors and Navy civilians who inspire and inform our modern force, especially in times like these.
3. MISSION. As much as possible and within the bounds of personnel safety, operational availability, and existing local, state, and federal restrictions on gatherings and travel, commands are directed to find creative ways to commemorate the 78th anniversary of the Battle of Midway.
a. Phase I (Planning and program development of 78th anniversary of BOM) Planning actions and the collection of a full listing of planned events are ongoing.
b. This EXORD directs the shift to Phase II, which encompasses the final preparations for the 78th BOM commemoration execution (3 June to 7 June). Ref B provides guidance in executing events in support of the 78th anniversary commemoration of BOM.
(1) All commands:
(a) Ensure Commanding Officers and Officers in Charge plan for and commemorate the 78th anniversary of the BOM to the best of their ability.
(b) Execute the BOM 78th Anniversary Communication Plan (history.navy.mil/midway) and participate in planned virtual outreach as operationally feasible.
(c) Report all commemorative events to Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) Communication and Outreach Division NLT 15 June 2020.
(d) Provide BOM lessons learned to NHHC NLT 22 June 2020.
(1) BOM toolkit can be found at history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/commemorations-toolkits/wwii-75/battle-of-midway
(2) The online toolkit features a wide variety of historical and communication resources to aid in the development of local commemorative activities, including documents, articles, downloadable photos and art, logos, graphics, Plan of the Day notes, videos, blog posts, ceremony scripts, ceremony program templates, speeches from previous commemorations, and guidance including previous NAVADMINs establishing the commemoration.
(3) Development of some of those resources is ongoing. They will be added as they are received – check back frequently.
5. Point of contact. NHHC POC, Ms. Alura Romero, Comm (202)685-6361 alura.romero(at)navy.mil.
6. Released by Mr. Andrew Haeuptle, Director, Navy Staff.//