R 042110Z APR 17
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/MAR//
SUBJ/BATTLE OF MIDWAY COMMEMORATION PLANNING ORDER//
AMPN/REF A IS THE OPNAVINST 5726.8A OUTREACH: AMERICA'S NAVY//
RMKS/1. June 2017 will mark the 75th anniversary of the Navy's and the Nation's most historically significant naval victory. The Battle of Midway (BOM) occurred 3-7 June 1942 and changed the tide of war in the Pacific and the course of world history. This order provides initial guidance and tasks for the global planning and execution of this important commemoration.
2. In support of reference (a), execute a commemorative event commensurate with the importance of the BOM for our Navy and Nation.
3. Commander's Intent:
a. Purpose. Serve as a commemoration of our Navy's greatest victory. Specifically, the commemoration will:
(1) Engage the American public on how the Navy has been and remains critical to our Nation's defense.
(2) Inspire the current generation of Sailors to trace their roots to those who fought in and won this great battle. Highlight the core attributes of toughness, initiative, accountability, and integrity of American Sailors and Navy civilians who contributed to success at Midway and throughout World War II.
(3) Draw parallels between today's forward deployed presence/operations to the historical lessons of the battle to cultivate an informed future for our Navy.
b. Method. Command-centric execution of a coordinated Navy-wide BOM commemoration.
(1) Use available Navy outreach assets to maximum extent possible.
(2) Be guided by, and supportive of, the Navy's strategic messaging.
c. End State. The BOM commemoration becomes an institutionalized community outreach and Navy pride event observed globally.
a. Director, Navy Staff (DNS) will oversee planning and program development for the annual BOM commemoration.
b. Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC):
(1) Coordinate and support the execution of Midway commemoration events to include the execution of a Navy-wide observation and supporting community outreach events.
(2) Act as the coordination lead for a live commemorative event on Midway Atoll at 1400 on 5 June 2017 (EDT).
(a) Coordinate with Defense Media Activity (DMA) for a broadcast and web-based live feed from Midway Atoll so that commands can incorporate viewing into individual ceremonies.
(b) Coordinate with DMA, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and Naval District Washington (NDW) to incorporate live feed from Midway Atoll into BOM ceremony in the Navy Capital Region.
(c) Coordinate with DMA, Navy Commands, and BOM commemorations across the globe to maximize the reach and impact of DMA's broadcast capabilities from the Midway Atoll.
(3) Establish a Working Group (WG) of key stakeholders to oversee planning and program development for the BOM commemoration.
(a) Director, NHHC will serve as chairman of the BOM WG.
(b) Track Navy-wide commemoration plans as they develop and coordinate with BOM WG members to identify and share available resources for the global execution of the BOM commemoration.
(4) Develop a commemoration toolkit for use by Commander, U.S.Fleet Forces Command (COMUSFLTFORCOM), Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet (COMPACFLT), Commander, Navy Installations Command (CNIC), Regional Commanders, Commanding Officers (CO) and Officers in Charge
(a) Develop and make available a body of lessons learned at the tactical, operational, and strategic levels from previous BOM commemorations.
(b) Post all documents and associated points of contact on the NHHC website (https://www.history.navy.mil) NLT 1 May 2017.
(5) Develop a BOM 75th Anniversary Communication Plan, including public affairs guidance, and provide to Chief of Naval Information (CHINFO) for dissemination to the fleet by 17 April 2017.
(6) Compile BOM lessons learned from stakeholders and provide to DNS NLT 10 July 2017.
(1) Provide a Navy uniformed representative during the live commemoration held on the Midway Atoll, 5 June 2017.
(2) Provide a Navy uniformed bugler in support of the commemoration held on the Midway Atoll, 5 June 2017.
(3) Provide oversight on a ceremony to be held 1100 PDT, Monday, 5 June 2017, on the Midway museum ship in San Diego.
(a) Provide DIRLAUTH to Commander Naval Air Forces (CNAF) for coordination with NHHC, DMA, the USS Midway Museum and USFWS to host a ceremony broadcast and web-streamed live nationally that will serve as the anchor event for the commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Midway.
(4) Provide representatives as necessary to support the BOM WG.
(5) Ensure COs and OICs plan for and commemorate the 75th anniversary of the BOM.
(6) Execute the BOM 75th Anniversary Communication Plan, disseminated by the CHINFO, and participate in planned community outreach activities as operationally feasible.
(7) Provide BOM lessons learned to NHHC NLT 20 June 2017.
d. COMUSFLTFORCOM, CNIC, Commander, Navy Reserve Force Command (COMNAVRESFORCOM), Commander, Naval Education and Training Command, and Commander, Naval Recruiting Command:
(1) Provide representatives as necessary to support the BOM WG.
(2) Ensure COs and OICs plan for and commemorate the 75th anniversary of the BOM.
(3) Execute the BOM 75th Anniversary Communication Plan, disseminated by the CHINFO, and participate in planned community outreach activities as operationally feasible.
(1) Coordinate with NHHC, DMA, the USS Midway Museum and USFWS to host a ceremony broadcast and web-streamed live nationally that will serve as the anchor event for the commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Midway.
(2) Incorporate the BOM 75th Anniversary Communication Plan, disseminated by the CHINFO, and participate in planned community outreach activities as operationally feasible.
(1) Provide representatives to the BOM WG.
(2) Coordinate with DMA to create and share BOM content that shows the importance of the battle NLT 2 May 2017.
(3) Disseminate the BOM 75th Anniversary Communication Plan to ashore and afloat commands by 2 May 2017. This plan should include Navy's strategic message and talking points for this event.
(4) Provide BOM lessons learned to NHHC NLT 20 June 2017.
(1) Host the 75th Anniversary Battle of Midway commemoration at 1400 (EDT), Monday, 5 June 2017, to enable local events to commemorate simultaneously across the nation during daylight hours.
5. Coordinating Instructions:
a. Additional coordination instructions and tasking to be provided by separate correspondence (SEPCOR) as plans develop.
a. The Midway toolkit will be available at the NHHC website (https://www.history.navy.mil/midway) NLT 8 April 2017.
b. Public Affairs Guidance:
(1) This is an active public affairs posture event.
(2) Public affairs guidance will be provided SEPCOR.
7. Point of contact. NHHC POC is Ms. Katherine Sequeira, at comm: (202) 433-7880 DSN: (288) 433-7880 or via email: katherine.sequeira(AT)navy.mil.
8. Released by VADM J. G. Foggo, Director, Navy Staff.//
R 232323Z MAR 00 ZYB MIN PSN 327982J31
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N09//
SUBJ/BATTLE OF MIDWAY COMMEMORATION//
RMKS/1. LAST YEAR CNO OUTLINED HIS GOAL FOR PRESERVING AND BUILDING UPON OUR RICH NAVAL HERITAGE AND ANNOUNCED A PLAN TO CELEBRATE ANNUALLY THE TWO MOST PROMINENT DAYS OF OUR NAVY'S PAST, OUR BIRTHDAY, 13 OCTOBER 1775, AND THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY, 4 JUNE 1942. THIS NAVADMIN PROVIDES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS YEAR'S MIDWAY COMMEMORATION.
2. THE COURAGE, SACRIFICE, HEROISM AND TEAMWORK OF EVERY SAILOR IN THAT PIVOTAL BATTLE FOR THE PACIFIC DURING WORLD WAR II WARRANTS OUR STUDY, EMULATION AND REVERENCE. ALTHOUGH WE CAN IDENTIFY EQUAL ACTS OF SELFLESSNESS AND BRAVERY THROUGHOUT OUR 224 YEAR HISTORY, MIDWAY IS UNIQUE IN THAT ON THE SHOULDERS OF THE COURAGEOUS SAILORS WHO FOUGHT THERE, RESTED THE FATE OF THE PACIFIC AND POSSIBLY THE WORLD. THEIR VICTORY WAS ACHIEVED THROUGH A SYNERGY OF EFFORTS WHICH INCLUDED THE BREAKING OF THE ENEMY'S CODE, THE UNTIRING EFFORTS OF THOSE WHO HELPED SUSTAIN OUR FORCES, AND THE SAILORS AT THE TIP OF THE SPEAR WHO DEFEATED VASTLY SUPERIOR ENEMY FORCES. THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY EPITOMIZES THE WARFIGHTING SPIRIT THAT ON A DAILY BASIS WE STRIVETO DEMONSTRATE IN THE ADRIATIC AND OFF THE COAST OF IRAQ.
3. THIS JUNE WE WILL MARK THE FIRST BATTLE OF MIDWAY COMMEMORATION WHERE WE WILL HOLD EVENTS TO HONOR THE NAVY OF YESTERDAY AND THE SAILORS WHO LAID THE FOUNDATION FOR OUR NAVY'S GREATNESS TODAY. COMMANDERS, COMMANDING OFFICERS, AND OFFICERS IN CHARGE ARE ENCOURAGED TO COMMEMORATE THE ANNIVERSARY AS DESIRED AND AS DEEMED APPROPRIATE FOR THEIR COMMAND WITH EVENTS SUCH AS TOURS, COMMEMORATION CEREMONIES, COMMAND FUNCTIONS, A DINING IN ORDINING OUT TO INCLUDE SPOUSES, VETERANS AND COMMUNITY GROUPS. EVENTS THAT INFORM AND EDUCATE INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL AUDIENCES AND PROMOTE COMMAND AND COMMUNITY AWARENESS ARE ENCOURAGED.
4. MIDWAY NIGHT 2000 WILL CENTER AROUND 4 JUNE 2000, THE 58TH ANNIVERSARY OF COMMENCEMENT OF THE BATTLE. COMMANDS SHOULD HOLD EVENTS EITHER ON 4 JUNE 2000 OR AS CLOSE TO THE DATE AS FEASIBLE BASED ON OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND LOCAL FACTORS THAT WOULD FACILITATE MAXIMUM ATTENDANCE AND PARTICIPATION. THE NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER HAS ADDED A MIDWAY NIGHT INFORMATION PAGE TO THEIR WEBSITE (WWW.HISTORY.NAVY.MIL). THIS SITE INCLUDES BATTLE OF MIDWAY GENERAL INFO, REGIONAL POINTS OF CONTACT AND INFO ON MIDWAY VETERANS GROUPS.A SAMPLE AGENDA FOR A "MIDWAY NIGHT" DINING IN EVENT WILL BE POSTED IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
5. OUR NAVY'S HISTORY IS REPLETE WITH ACTS OF HONOR, COURAGE AND COMMITMENT WHERE SAILORS HAVE DONE THEIR DUTY TO DEFEND OUR COUNTRY AND ITS CITIZENS. THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY IS A SHINING EXAMPLE OF SACRIFICE, SERVICE BEFORE SELF AND A FITTING VEHICLE THROUGH WHICH TO HONOR ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO OUR NAVY'S PROUD HERITAGE. I LOOK FORWARD TO COMMEMORATING THIS SPECIAL OCCASION WITH YOU, THE FINEST SAILORS IN THE WORLD.
6. RELEASED BY ADM D. L. PILLING, VCNO.//
R 041653Z JUN 99 ZYB MIN PSN 165196J28
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N00//
RMKS/1. IT IS ONE OF MY GOALS TO HELP PRESERVE OUR RICH NAVAL HERITAGE AND TO BUILD UPON IT. ONE OF THE WAYS TO DO THAT IS TO CELEBRATE SIGNIFICANT EVENTS AND DATES. PART OF THAT IS TO ALSO HONOR THOSE WHO SERVED SO PROUDLY AND GAVE SO MUCH TO MAKE OUR NAVY WHAT IT IS TODAY. AFTER CONSIDERABLE DELIBERATION, IT IS APPARENT THAT THE TWO MOST SIGNIFICANT DATES IN OUR NAVAL HISTORY ARE 13 OCTOBER 1775, THE BIRTH OF OUR NAVY, AND 4 JUNE 1942, THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY.
2. THESE TWO PROMINENT DAYS WILL HENCEFORTH BE CELEBRATED ANNUALLY AS THE CENTERPIECES OF OUR HERITAGE. DURING THE WEEK OF 13 OCTOBER, ALL COMMANDS ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE IN BIRTHDAY ACTIVITIES SUCH AS BIRTHDAY BALLS AND HISTORICAL SEMINARS TO CELEBRATE THE ORIGIN OF OUR SERVICE. ADDITIONALLY, BEGINNING 4 JUNE 2000, THE 58TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY, WE WILL INAUGURATE ANNUAL ACTIVITIES COMMEMORATING ONE OF THE MOST DECISIVE SEA BATTLES IN WORLD HISTORY. MIDWAY WAS WON, NOT BY SUPERIOR NUMBERS OR DAUNTING TECHNOLOGY, BUT BY THE COURAGE AND TENACITY OF SAILORS WHO FOUGHT A VICIOUS AIR AND SEA BATTLE AGAINST OVERWHELMING ODDS. THEIR VICTORY HELPED WIN US THE WORLD WE HAVE TODAY, AND IT IS APPROPRIATE THAT WE REMEMBER IT AND THOSE WHO PARTICIPATED IN IT. WHILE MOST COMMANDS WILL CELEBRATE 4 JUNE 2000 WITH A DINING IN, COMMANDERS/COMMANDING OFFICERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO EXPAND THE EVENT IN THEIR RESPECTIVE AREAS/COMMANDS AS DESIRED.
3. TWICE A YEAR, WE WILL PAUSE AS A NAVY, TO REFLECT UPON OUR PROUD HERITAGE AND TO BUILD IN ALL HANDS A RENEWED AWARENESS OF OUR TRADITION AND HISTORY. THROUGH SUCH REFLECTION, WE WILL HELP DEFINE THE SIGNIFICANCE OF OUR SERVICE TODAY IN DEFENSE OF OUR COUNTRY'S FREEDOM. WE ARE THE CARETAKERS OF A TORCH PASSED ON BY NEARLY TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE YEARS OF NAVAL HEROES. EACH OF US WILL BE ENRICHED BY HONORING THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS. I BELIEVE IT IS APPROPRIATE THAT WE TAKE TIME TO PAUSE AND REFLECT FORMALLY UPON OUR PROUD NAVAL HERITAGE.
4. RELEASED BY ADM JAY L. JOHNSON, CNO.//