R 311815Z JAN 20 MID110000371770U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//DNS//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JAN//
SUBJ/BATTLE OF MIDWAY COMMEMORATION PLANNING ORDER//
AMPN/REF A IS THE OPNAVINST 5726.8B OUTREACH: AMERICA'S NAVY//
RMKS/1. June 2020 will mark the 78th anniversary of the Navy's and the Nation's most historically significant naval victory. The Battle of Midway(BOM)occurred 3-7 June 1942 and changed the tide of war in the Pacific and the course of world history. This order provides initial guidance and tasks for the execution and planning of this important, global commemoration.
2. In support of reference (a), execute a commemorative event commensurate with the importance of the BOM for our Navy and Nation.
3. Commander's Intent:
a. Purpose: Serve as a commemoration of our Navy's greatest victories. Specifically, the commemoration will:
(1) Engage the American public on how the Navy has been and remains critical to our nation's defense.
(2) Inspire the current generation of Sailors to trace their roots to those who fought in this great battle. Highlight the toughness, initiative, accountability, and integrity of American Sailors and Navy civilians who contributed to success at Midway and throughout World War II.
(3) Draw parallels between today’s forward deployed naval forces and the historical lessons of the battle in order to cultivate an appreciation for our shared history and a better understanding of where our Navy is headed today and into the future.
b. Method: Command-centered execution of a coordinated Navy-wide BOM commemoration.
(1) Use available Navy outreach assets to maximum extent possible.
(2) Be guided by, and supportive of, the Navy's strategic messaging.
c. End State: The BOM commemoration becomes an institutionalized community outreach and a Navy pride event for all Sailors, observed globally.
a. Director, Navy Staff (DNS) will oversee planning and program development for the annual BOM commemoration.
b. Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC):
(1) Coordinate and support the execution of Midway commemoration events to include the execution of a Navy-wide observance and supporting fleet BOM -related community outreach events.
(2) Establish a Working Group (WG) of key stakeholders to oversee planning and program development for the BOM commemoration.
(a) NHHC will serve as chairman of the BOM WG.
(b) Track Navy-wide commemoration plans as they develop and coordinate with BOM WG members to identify and share available resources for the global execution of the BOM commemoration.
(3) Develop a commemoration toolkit for use by Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command (COMUSFLTFORCOM), Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet (COMPACFLT), Commander, Navy Installations (CNIC), Regional Commanders, Commanding Officers, and Officers in Charge.
(a) Provide and make available a body of lessons learned at the tactical, operational, and strategic levels from previous BOM commemorations.
(b) Post all documents and associated points of contact on the NHHC website (https://www.history.navy.mil) NLT 13 April 2020.
(4) Develop a BOM 78th Anniversary Communication Plan, including public affairs guidance, and provide to Chief of Naval Information for dissemination to the fleet by 6 April 2020.
(5) Draft BOM Navy Execute Order for release as NAVADMIN by DNS.Message to be released NLT 1 May 2020.
(6) Compile Midway lessons learned and after action from other stakeholders and provide to DNS NLT 17 July 2020.
c. COMUSFLTFORCOM; COMPACFLT; CNIC; Commander, Navy Reserve Force Command; Commander, Naval Education and Training Command; and Commander, Naval Recruiting Command:
(1) Provide representatives as necessary to support the BOM WG.
(2) Ensure COs and OICs plan for and commemorate the 78th anniversary of the BOM.
(3) Execute the BOM 78th Anniversary Communication Plan, disseminated by the Chief of Naval Information (CHINFO), and participate in planned community outreach activities as operationally feasible.
(4) Provide BOM lessons learned to NHHC NLT 22 June 2020.
(5) Report all commemorative events to NHHC Communication and Outreach Division NLT 15 June 2020.
(1) Provide representatives to the BOM WG.
(2) Disseminate the BOM 78th Anniversary Communication Plan to ashore and afloat commands by 6 April 2020. This plan should include Navy's strategic messaging and talking points for the commemoration.
(3) Provide BOM lessons learned to NHHC NLT 22 June 2020.
e. Naval District Washington:
(1) Host the “Sea of White” ceremony at 1000 (EST), Thursday, 4 June 2020, to enable local events to commemorate simultaneously across the nation during daylight hours.
5. Coordinating Instructions:
a. Additional coordination instructions and tasking to be provided by separate correspondence (SEPCOR) as plans develop.
a. The Midway toolkit will be available at the NHHC website (https://www.history.navy.mil/midway) NLT 6 April 2020. Content will be added to the toolkit as it becomes available, with all supporting elements complete and posted NLT 1 May 2020.
b. Public Affairs Guidance:
(1) This is an active public affairs posture event.
(2) Public affairs guidance will be provided SEPCOR.
7. Point of contact. Ms. Alura Romero, Comm: (202) 685-6361
8. Released by Mr. Andrew S. Haeuptle, Director, Navy Staff on behalf of Mr. Samuel J. Cox, Naval History and Heritage Command.//