R 271654Z SEP 18
FM SECNAV WASHINGTON DC
INFO SECNAV WASHINGTON DC
CNO WASHINGTON DC
CMC WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/SECNAV WASHINGTON DC/-/SEP//
SUBJ/NAVY BIRTHDAY MESSAGE TO THE FLEET//
RMKS/1. To our Sailors, civilians, families and friends, for 243 years the
Navy has been a global force, forged from the sea, united in a common
purpose, ready to fight, respond, and defend wherever there is need.
2. Because of your hard work and dedication, the foundation for restoring
readiness and increasing lethality has been set. But as we enter our 244th
year of service, we must now build on that foundation. I need you to
continually think of how to improve the delivery of the Navy the Nation needs
with a committed sense of urgency.
3. We are accountable for how and where we invest our time and our
resources, and we must understand the readiness and lethality we gain from
those investments. To that end, we must be disciplined in our focus on our
people, capabilities, and processes.
4. We have developed plans informed by the National Defense Strategy, which
recognizes that our primary role is warfighting. Now each of us must align
our efforts to in order to accomplish these plans. Ask yourselves and each
other, how can we accomplish our mission better, faster, and cheaper.
5. With your help, I have no doubt we will leverage every resource, leading
practice, and efficiency we can find with the professionalism, integrity and
accountability the American people expect.
6. My wife Polly and I are forever grateful for all that you, your families,
and your loved ones do for our Nation. Happy Birthday Shipmates God bless
you and God bless the United States Navy.
7. Released by the Honorable Richard V. Spencer, Secretary of the Navy.