R 252230Z APR 03 ZYB MIN
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//DNS//
INFO RUEACMC/CMC WASHINGTON DC
RHMFIUU/CMC WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/-/APR
SUBJ/OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM COMMANDERS, COMMANDING OFFICERS WAR DIARY//
Ref A is recently revised instruction that tasks Navy commands with responsibility for ensuring that historical records concerning their organizations, equipment, personnel and operations are collected and preserved. Ref B is Vice CNO P4 on capturing our operational history. Ref C is the CJCS instruction on the Joint After-Action Reporting System.
1. This NAVADMIN requires all Navy units engaged in deployed operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) to assemble the operational history data collected IAW Ref B and submit it as a Commander's/Commanding Officer's War Diary (CWD) upon completion of deployment. Commanders engaged in global war on terror or other deployed operations are encouraged to submit a Commander's/Commanding Officer's Operations Diary (COD) in the same format. Submissions IAW this NAVADMIN meet the requirements of the Annual command history for the period covered. They do not meet the Requirements of the Navy Lessons-Learned System.
2. Shore command requirements for records collection and preservation are addressed SEPCOR.
3. Commanders and commanding officers of all units, task units, task groups, task forces and fleets engaged in OIF-related deployed operations will submit a Commander's/Commanding Officer's War Diary. The term "deployed operations" denotes operations supporting homeland security as well as overseas deployments. The CWD will include a commander's assessment, a daily chronology of operations, and a chronologically arranged collection of command-originated records and documents as specified by Ref B. War diaries will be written at a classification level sufficient to fully document unit activities. Unit end of mission or end of deployment reports already required may be used as appropriate to amplify or substitute for all or part of the commander's assessment. Tools and techniques to aid compilation are posted at www.history.navy.mil/tfhistory/.
4. Commander's assessments should provide personal commentary and reflections on the unit's operations. Descriptions of circumstances and sequence of events leading to operational decisions and results of those decisions are particularly desired. So too are accounts of specific contributions of individuals in the command to mission accomplishment.
5. The chronologically arranged collection of documentation of the unit's activities should include at a minimum command originated messages, official e-mails, chat or other communications that describe daily operations, for example, OPLANS, OPORDS, OPREPS and OPSUMS, commanders daily intentions, documentation of materiel and personnel conditions, and mission reports. After Action Reports (AAR) submitted in accordance with ref b will be included in the CWD.
6. The CWD should be submitted within two months of the completion of an operational deployment, or if engaged primarily in homeland security operations, annually in June. Submarines that prepare Basic Mission Reports (BMRs) are not required to submit a CWD as the BMR adequately documents the unit's activities. Those submarines that do not prepare a BMR will submit a CWD. Units may request adjustment of submission dates from DNS via their ISICS.
7. Submit CWDs as follows:
A. Preferred means of transmission will be through the use of CD-ROM. War diaries on CD-ROM classified thru Secret should be sent to the Naval Historical Center by approved commercial courier service following security directions posted at www.history.navy.mil/tfhistory/.
B. Secondary means of transmission of CWDs will be by SIPRNET as attachments to classified e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. To facilitate transmissions please coordinate in advance with Mr. Randy Potter at email@example.com or via telephone DSN 288-3125 or Comm: 202-433-3125.
C. Top Secret CWDs on CD-ROM shall be forwarded via courier to:
NHC/AR Washington, DC
D. CWDs on CD-ROM containing compartmented information shall be forwarded via courier to:
Inner wrapper of package should read:
Randy Balano, Historian
ONI-ODB EXT 2975
Contact telephone numbers: DSN: 659-4488/5901 or 301-669-4488/5901.
8. Released by VADM P. A. Tracey, DNS.