President Obama shakes the hand of a
2009 US Naval Academy woman graduate.
The videos below are reflective of Navy cultural history. While there are messages in the videos that still stand true today, the Navy has become a more diverse military organization since 1964.
Uniforms of Women in the Armed Forces (1964)
Ladies Wear the Blue - Part 1
Ladies Wear the Blue - Part 2
Ladies Wear the Blue - Part 3
- LT Ruth Erickson, NC, USN on Pearl Harbor attack
- CAPT Ann Bernatitus, NC, USN Philippine service including Bataan, evacuation from Corregidor on USS Spearfish (SS 190);
on USS Relief (AH 1) during the Okinawa campaign and return of American POWs from Japanese-occupied China
- LT Dorothy Still Danner, NC, USN POW at Santo Thomas and Los Baños camps, Philippines
- LT Helen Pavlovsky, USNR and LT Sara Marcum, USNR Navy Base Hospital No. 12 after Normandy Invasion
- LCDR Bobbi Hovis, NC, USN coup d'etat overthrowing President Ngo Ninh Diem, Republic of [South] Vietnam