USS Wasp, a 630-ton yacht, was built at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1898 for civilian use. Purchased by the Navy in April 1898, she operated off Cuba and Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War. Post-war, Wasp served along the U.S. east and Gulf coasts, and briefly in the Mississipi River until decommissioned in December 1919. She was sold in September 1921.
This page features a photograph of USS Wasp.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NR&L(O) 2220
USS Wasp (1898-1921)
At the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, 19 November 1898.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 65,216 bytes; 740 x 590 pixels
13 October 1998