Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Vulcan (1898-99)

USS Vulcan, a 1909-ton repair ship, was built at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1884 for commercial use. Acquired by the Navy in May 1898, she was converted to provide repair services for warships on distant stations during the Spanish-American War. Stationed at Guantanamo, Cuba, she made repairs to 63 ships and supported salvage efforts on the Spanish Cruisers Cristobal Colon and Infanta Maria Teresa. Vulcan was decommissioned in January 1899 and sold the following July.

This page features 1898 views of USS Vulcan.

If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 45237

USS Vulcan (1898-99)


At sea, during the Spanish-American War period, 1898.

Copied from the book of letters kept by Assistant Surgeon William S. Thomas, 1898.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 38,324 bytes; 740 x 365 pixels

 


The following photographs show USS Vulcan in the background of views of other subjects:

Photo #: NH 43066

USS Oneida (1898-1915, 1917-18)


Photographed circa May 1898, possibly at Boston, Mass. Ship in right background is SS Chatham, which was converted to the U.S. Navy repair ship Vulcan at Boston in May 1898. Ship in left distance is USS Southery.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 75,480 bytes; 740 x 640 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 53225

USS Inca (1898-1908)


At the Boston Navy Yard, Charlestown, Mass., 9 November 1898.
Large ships in background are USS Vulcan (center) and USS Wabash (behind sheer legs).
Note variety of rowing boats in left foreground.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 63,041 bytes; 740 x 580 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

14 October 1998