U.S. NAVY SHIPS
Names beginning with the letter U
This page lists all U-named U.S. Navy Ships whose pictures are available through the Online Library.
If the ship you want is not listed on this page, contact the Photographic Section concerning other research options.
U-named ships are listed below in alphabetical order. Scan down the list until you find the ship you want, then click its entry to access appropriate image pages.
- U-2513 (former German Type XXI submarine), 1946-1951
- U-3008 (former German Type XXI submarine), 1946-1956
- U.S. Grant (AP-29), 1941-1945. Previously USS Madawaska (ID # 3011), 1917-1919; and USAT Madawaska and USAT U.S. Grant, 1919-1941
- Uhlmann (DD-687), 1943-1974
- Unadilla (1861-1869)
- Uncas (SP-689), 1917-1918. Later renamed SP-689
- Undaunted (ID # 1950, later AT-58, YT-125, AT-58 and ATO-58), 1918-1947
- Underhill (DE-682), 1943-1945
- Underwriter (ID # 1390, later YT-44), 1918-1922. Renamed Adirondack in 1920
- Unimak (AVP-31), 1943-1948
- Uniontown (PF-65), 1944-1946. Originally named Chattanooga
- United States (1797-1861). Later became CSS United States, 1861-1862
- United States
(CC-6), 1919 Program -- construction cancelled, 1923.
- United States
(CVA-58), Fiscal Year 1949 -- construction cancelled, April 1949.
- Upshur (Destroyer # 144, later DD-144 and AG-103), 1918-1947
- Upshur, Abel P. (DD-193), 1920-1940. Properly called Abel P. Upshur
- Utah (BB-31, later AG-16), 1911-1941
- Utowana (SP-951), 1917-1920
For higher resolution images see: Obtaining Photographic Reproductions
To the best of our knowledge, the pictures referenced here are all in the Public Domain, and can therefore be freely downloaded and used for any purpose.