USS Tunxis, an 1175-ton Casco-class light draft monitor, was built at Chester, Pennsylvania. Commissioned in July 1864 as the first of her class, she was found to be completely unseaworthy as soon as she began her first voyage and was decommissioned in September 1864 for an extensive reconstruction. This work was not completed until July 1866, by which time the Civil War was long over and there was no further need for her in the active Navy. Accordingly, Tunxis was laid up at the League Island Navy Yard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She had no further active service, but was twice renamed in 1869, becoming Hydra in June and Otsego in August. The monitor was scrapped in 1874.
This page features the only view we have of USS Tunxis.
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 58792
USS Tunxis (1864-1874)
Engraving published in "The Soldier in Our Civil War", Volume II, page 226.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 53KB; 740 x 240 pixels
Page made 6 April 2002