USS Sebago, a 130-ton tug, was built at Camden, New Jersey, in 1893 for commercial use. Purchased by the Navy in April 1898, she served as USS Tacoma until 1899-1900 and was then renamed Sebago. She operated as a harbor tug at several navy yards and stations during her long career, and was designated YT-23 in 1920. Sebago was struck from the Navy List in December 1936 and sold for scrapping the following month.
This page features our only view of USS Tacoma prior to her being renamed Sebago.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 43688
USS Tacoma (1898-1936)
Photographed in 1898, probably off the Pensacola Navy Yard, Florida.
Note 6-pounder Driggs-Schroeder gun at her bow.
This tug was renamed Sebago in 1900.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 56,805 bytes; 740 x 595 pixels
12 October 1998