USS Standish, a 350-ton tug, was built in 1865 at Boston, Massachusetts, for the Navy. She served as a tug at the Norfolk Navy Yard during the 1870s, and later at Newport, Rhode Island, before being permanently assigned to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland. She was station tug and practice ship there for several decades, and was finally sold in August 1921.
This page features a view of USS Standish.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NR&L(O) 12613
USS Standish (1865-1921)
Possibly in the Severn River, off the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, with a steam launch alongside. Standish was a station tug at the Naval Academy from about 1880 through the First World War.
Original caption identifies ship in left background as the U.S. Light House Tender Maple and date as 1899.
Photograph received from the Office of Naval Intelligence, 1936.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 60,206 bytes; 740 x 645 pixels
11 October 1998