Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Saint Paul (1898, 1918-19, ID # 1643)

USS Saint Paul, a 14,910-ton auxiliary cruiser, was built in 1895 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as a commercial passenger liner. Chartered by the Navy in April 1898, she served in the West Indies as a cruiser during the Spanish-American War. Later in the conflict, she was employed as a transport, and was returned to her owner in September 1898.

After nearly two more decades as a passenger steamer, the Navy reacquired St. Paul during World War I, under the designation ID # 1643. However, on 28 April 1918, while under conversion at New York, she capsized in the North River. Though salvaged some months later, she was not repaired during the war and was again returned to her owner in March 1919. St. Paul was scrapped in 1923.

This page features 1898 views of USS St. Paul.

If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 59924

USS St. Paul (1898)


Photographed at the end of the Spanish-American War.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 43,054 bytes; 740 x 490 pixels

 


The following image was taken on board USS St. Paul during her 1898 Naval service:

Photo #: NH 89086

USS St. Paul (1898)


View looking aft on her forecastle, following conversion to an auxiliary cruiser, 1898. Note 5-inch guns, capstans, winch and other deck gear. The original photograph was taken by C.H. Graves and published on a stereograph card.

Courtesy of Commander Donald J. Robinson, USN(MSC, 1979.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 79,492 bytes; 590 x 680 pixels

A stereo pair version of this image is available as
Photo # NH 89086-A

Online Image of stereo pair: 52,108 bytes; 675 x 350 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

11 October 1998