SC-180, a 110-foot SC-1 class submarine chaser, was built at Upper Nyack, New York. She was placed in commission in April 1918 and served for several months in the western Atlantic area before crossing the ocean to the European war zone in the fall of 1918. After spending much of 1919 overseas, she returned to the Western Hemisphere and was thereafter assigned to Santo Domingo. While there on 15 July 1920 USS SC-180 was destroyed by fire following a gasoline explosion. Her remains were sold some four years later.
This page features the only view we have concerning USS SC-180.
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 99742
U.S. Navy Submarine Chasers
In an Azores harbor with other ships of the U.S. and foreign navies, circa October 1918.
The six subchasers in the left center of the view, with bows to the camera, are (from left to right): SC-223, SC-330, SC-180, SC-353, SC-331 and (probably) SC-356. Ships nested with them, to the right, include a "bird" type minesweeper and two converted yacht patrol vessels.
Collection of George K. Beach, who was a crewmember of USS SC-331 at the time.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 54KB; 740 x 430 pixels
Page made 6 December 2004