Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Rodgers (Torpedo Boat # 4, TB-4), 1898-1920.
Later renamed Coast Torpedo Boat # 2

USS Rodgers, a 142-ton Foote class torpedo boat, was built at Baltimore, Maryland, and commissioned in April 1898. She operated off Cuba during the Spanish-American War. Post-war, she was mainly in reserve with occasional brief period of active service, and became a naval militia training vessel in 1910. Rodgers patrolled off the Atlantic coast during World War I, being renamed Coast Torpedo Boat # 2 in 1918. She decommissioned in March 1919 and was sold in July 1920.

This page features a view of USS Rodgers, and another showing what may be her in the background of another subject.

If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 63745

USS Rodgers (TB-4)


Photographed circa 1897-98.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 65,326 bytes; 740 x 560 pixels

 


The following photograph shows a torpedo boat that may be USS Rodgers in the background of an image of another subject:

Photo #: NH 100042

Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia


Torpedo boats of the Atlantic Fleet Reserve Torpedo Flotilla at the Norfolk Navy Yard, circa 1907. Most of these craft are partially dismantled.
The two boats in the front right and the one in the front left (listed in no particular order) are: USS Bagley (TB-24), USS Barney (TB-25) and USS Biddle (TB-26).
The two larger boats between them, in the foreground are (left to right): USS DuPont (TB-7) and USS Porter (TB- 6).
The three boats in the back row are (left to right): One of the three Torpedo Boat # 3 class (Foote, Rodgers or Winslow), USS Cushing (TB-1) and either USS Gwin (TB-16) or USS Talbot (TB-15).
The receiving ship USS Franklin (1867-1915) and a two-masted schooner are in the distance.

Courtesy of R.D. Jeska, 1984.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 55,074 bytes; 740 x 490 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

Picture added 5 November 1998