Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Photo # NH 100590:  USS Raymond J. Anderton, probably at the Boston Navy Yard, circa August 1917

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Raymond J. Anderton (SP-530), 1917-1919.
Also known as Anderton

USS Raymond J. Anderton, a 290-ton patrol vessel and minesweeper, was built at Noank, Connecticut, in 1911 as the steam fishing trawler of the same name. She was purchased by the Navy in June 1917 and placed in commission in mid-August. Under the terms of General Order # 314, issued in late July 1917, her name was officially shortened to Anderton, but the longer original name also continued in use. With several other "Menhaden Fisherman" type vessels, she crossed the Atlantic in September to begin patrol operations off the French west coast. After experience showed that ships of her type were unsuitable for the open sea, her mission was changed to minesweeping.

For the remainder of World War I, and for several months following the 11 November 1918 Armistice, Anderton operated out of Lorient in a constant effort to ensure that vital shipping could enter and leave the western French ports unimpeded by mines laid by German submarines. As necessary, she also performed convoy and antisubmarine patrol duties. In the spring of 1919, Anderton and her sisters attempted to return to the United States, but the transit was soon halted by bad weather and she returned to France. She was decommissioned at Brest in September 1919 for sale abroad, but was obtained by her previous owners, who restored her original name and returned her to fishing work, which she performed until 1922.

This page features all the views we have related to USS Raymond J. Anderton (SP-530).


If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 100590

USS Raymond J. Anderton (SP-530)


Photographed circa August 1917, while preparing for deployment overseas. Location is probably Boston Navy Yard. Two battleships are in the background, with that in the center being either USS Delaware (Battleship # 28) or USS North Dakota (Battleship # 29).
Built in 1911, the fishing vessel Raymond J. Anderton was acquired by the Navy on 15 June 1917 and commissioned on 18 August 1917. She was decommissioned on 8 September 1919 for sale abroad.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 60KB; 740 x 385 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 100585

USS Raymond J. Anderton (SP-530)


Photographed circa August-September 1917, probably at the Boston Navy Yard, Massachusetts. USS Parthenia (SP-671) is alongside her, at right.
The civilian fishing vessel Raymond J. Anderton, built in 1911, was acquired by the Navy on 15 June 1917 and commissioned on 18 August 1917. Following World War I service in French waters, she was decommissioned on 8 September 1919 for sale abroad.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 82KB; 740 x 470 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 44901

"Menhaden Fisherman" type of converted minesweepers


Moored at Lorient, France, in 1918.
These ships are identified as USS Anderton (SP-530), USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429). Anderton is the middle ship, with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse.
The ships were originally named Raymond J. Anderton, City of Lewes and W.T. James. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.
Note the racks, holding two depth charges each, mounted on two of these minesweepers, and the numeral "9" on the stern of the ship on the right.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 88KB; 740 x 440 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 45099

"Menhaden Fisherman" type of converted minesweepers


View of minesweeping gear on the sterns of two ships, taken at Lorient, France, in 1918.
The ship in the foreground is USS Anderton (SP-530), which was originally named Raymond J. Anderton.
Note ships' minesweeping floats and davits; and the rack, holding two depth charges, mounted on the stern of the more distant minesweeper.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 96KB; 740 x 460 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 53596

"Menhaden Fisherman" type converted minesweepers


During a review of U.S. and French ships in Lorient harbor, France, 29 November 1918.
The ship at left is USS Hubbard (SP-416). USS Anderton (SP-530) is in the center, with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse. Probably also present are USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429).
The ships were originally named B.H.B. Hubbard, Raymond J. Anderton, City of Lewes and W.T. James. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 65KB; 740 x 410 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 44900

"Menhaden Fisherman" type of converted minesweepers


Off Lorient, France, probably during a review of U.S. and French ships on 29 November 1918.
Four of these ships are identified as USS Hubbard (SP-416) USS Anderton (SP-530), USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429). Hubbard is in the foreground, wearing the number "8". Anderton is the third ship from the front (only partially visible), with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse.
The ships were originally named B.H.B. Hubbard, Raymond J. Anderton, City of Lewes and W.T. James. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 57KB; 740 x 495 pixels

 


If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."


Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

Page made 29 September 2002
New image added 11 January 2004