Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Pompanoosuc (1864-1884). Later renamed Connecticut

USS Pompanoosuc, a 4446-ton steam frigate, was laid down at the Boston Navy Yard, Massachusetts, in 1864 as part of a Civil War program of large, very fast, steam cruisers. She was never launched, and remained on her building ways until scrapped in 1883-84. Her name was changed to Connecticut in May 1869.

This page features views relating to this ship.

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the Online Library's digital images, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 57271-KN (Color)

"Ammonoosuc and Neshaminy Class"


Colored lithograph, after a drawing by Captain Melancthon B. Woolsey, USN, published by the Major & Knapp Eng. Mfg. & Lith. Co., 71 Broadway, New York, circa the later 1860s.
It depicts the fast cruisers USS Ammonoosuc (1868-1883) and Neshaminy (1865-1874). The same print has also been used to depict the never-launched USS Connecticut, ex-Pompanoosuc.
The original print's mount bears the notation: "From Boynton's History of the U.S. Navy".

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 86KB; 740 x 485 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 57982

Boston Navy Yard, Massachusetts


View of the waterfront, about 1870. Ships laid up and housed over, on the right, are USS Iowa, ex-Ammonoosuc (1868-1883), inboard, and USS Niagara (1857-1885).
On the stocks in left center, with sterns visible between and beyond the two shiphouses, are USS Connecticut, ex-Pompanoosuc, and USS Pennsylvania, ex-Kewaydin.
The receiving ship USS Ohio (1838-1883) is in the middle distance.

Donation of Captain Yancy S. Williams, USN, 1928.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 78KB; 740 x 460 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

22 December 1998