USS Puritan, a 6060-ton monitor, was built at Chester, Pennsylvania, and completed by the New York Navy Yard. Commissioned in December 1896, she was actively employed off Cuba during the Spanish-American War. After that conflict, she served as a Naval Academy practice ship, a receiving ship and a naval militia training vessel. Decommissioned for the final time in April 1910, Puritan was subsequently used for target duties. The old monitor was sold in January 1922.
This page features a view of USS Puritan.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 60696
USS Puritan (BM-1)
Photographed circa 1896-99.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 56,648 bytes; 740 x 566 pixels
11 October 1998