USS Peoria, a 487-ton converted gunboat, was built as the pilot boat Philadelphia at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Purchased by the Navy in May 1898 for Spanish-American War service, she operated off Cuba during that conflict and participated in several engagements. After the war, she remained active in the West Indies and along the U.S. east coast.
Peoria became a tug in 1908, being designated AT-48 in 1920 and YT-109 the next year. She decommissioned in November 1921 and was sold in June 1922.
This page features an 1898 view of USS Peoria.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: 19-N-17-24-2
USS Peoria (1898-1922)
Photographed circa May 1898, possibly at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, following conversion for naval service.
Photograph from the Bureau of Ships Collection in the U.S. National Archives.
Online Image: 85,425 bytes; 740 x 615 pixels
Reproductions of this image may also be available through the National Archives photographic reproduction system.
9 October 1998