USS Octavia, a 7435-ton (limiting displacement) Adria class store ship, was built at Beaumont, Texas, as a Maritime Commission R1-M-AV3 type refrigerator ship. She was loaned to the Navy when completed in May 1945 and placed in commission in mid-June. Soon sent to the Pacific, she spent the rest of 1945 carrying provisions to bases in the Marshall Islands. During the first three months of 1946 the ship made a voyage to the Philippines, followed by two trips between the West Coast and Hawaii. USS Octavia was decommissioned in August 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission. Renamed Yardarm Knot, she was employed commercially by the Matson Navigation Company and Coastwise Lines until November 1947, when she was laid up at Suisun Bay, California. Following fifteen years of inactivity, she was sold for non-transportation use in December 1972.
This page features the only view we have concerning USS Octavia (AF-46).
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 82221
USS Octavia (AF-46)
At anchor, probably in San Francisco Bay, California, 1946.
Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson, 1975.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 57KB; 740 x 605 pixels
Page made 8 April 2005