Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Neshaminy (1865-1874). Later renamed Arizona and Nevada

USS Neshaminy, a 3850-ton steam frigate, was built at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Pennsylvania, as part of a Civil War program of large, very fast, steam cruisers. Launched in October 1865, she was moved to the New York Navy Yard for installation of her engines, but was never completed. In 1869, she was twice renamed: initially Arizona and finally Nevada. Under the latter name, she remained laid up incomplete at New York, and at Groton, Connecticut, until sold for scrapping in June 1874.

This page features views relating to this ship.

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the Online Library's digital images, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 102414

New London Naval Station, Groton, Connecticut

("Thames Navy Yard")

USS Nevada (ex-Neshaminy) laid up at the station pier, circa 1871-73, with USS Dictator "in ordinary" at the right.
Stereograph photo by E. Ayer, Norwich, Connecticut.

Courtesy of the Submarine Force Library and Museum, Groton, CT., 1990.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 44KB; 740 x 440 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 57271-KN (Color)

"Ammonoosuc and Neshaminy Class"


Colored lithograph, after a drawing by Captain Melancthon B. Woolsey, USN, published by the Major & Knapp Eng. Mfg. & Lith. Co., 71 Broadway, New York, circa the later 1860s.
It depicts the fast cruisers USS Ammonoosuc (1868-1883) and Neshaminy (1865-1874). The same print has also been used to depict the never-launched USS Connecticut, ex-Pompanoosuc.
The original print's mount bears the notation: "From Boynton's History of the U.S. Navy".

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 86KB; 740 x 485 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

Picture added 22 December 1998