Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Newark (Cruiser # 1, C-1), 1891-1926

USS Newark, a 4083-ton protected cruiser, was built at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and commissioned in February 1891. She served in the Atlantic and European waters up to 1897, then commenced an extensive overhaul, which finished in time for her to operate off Cuba during the Spanish-American War. In 1899, she steamed around South America to the Pacific, and then went on to join the Asiatic Squadron.

Newark returned to the east coast by way of the Indian Ocean and Mediterranean in 1901, and commenced five years' duty in the western Atlantic and Caribbean areas. She then was employed as a Naval Militia training ship and as station ship at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Stricken from the Navy List in June 1912, Newark was transferred to the Public Health Service for use as a quarantine ship. During World War I, she was an annex to Naval Hospitals at Newport, Rhode Island, and New York. She was disposed of by sale in September 1926.

This page features views related to USS Newark.

If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 80841

USS Newark (C-1)


Coaling from a schooner, 1898. Though deteriorated, this photo shows an activity that was a frequent, and very dirty, reality of Spanish-American War naval operations.

Copied from the collection of William D. Edwards, by courtesy of Robert W. Edwards, 1974.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 78,401 bytes; 740 x 506 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 80782

USS Newark (C-1)


Two members of the cruiser's crew, 1898. Man on left is wearing a steward's uniform.

Copied from the collection of William D. Edwards, by courtesy of Robert W. Edwards, 1974.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 65KB; 740 x 615 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

New picture added 17 November 1998