Motor Tug No. 89, a 54-ton, 65-foot wooden-hulled craft originally propelled by a four-cylinder gasoline engine, was built at the Mare Island Navy Yard, California, and placed in service on 31 January 1919. She spent her entire career at or near Mare Island. The tug was classified YT-89 when the Navy implemented its standard hull classification system in July 1920, was renamed Motor Tug No. 4 and reclassified YMT-4 in 1929 when the motor tugs were given their own hull symbol, and lost her name and became YTL-89 in May 1944 when the classification scheme for all Navy tugs was overhauled. During World War II her gasoline engine was replaced with a diesel. YTL-89 was placed out of service in September 1946, stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in November 1946 and sold by the War Shipping Administration in June 1947.
This page features the only view we have concerning U.S. Navy Motor Tug No. 89 (YT-89), Motor Tug No. 4 (YMT-4) and YTL-89.
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 41603
U. S. Navy Motor Tug No. 89
Photographed at Mare Island, California, near the beginning of her career. She was classified YT-89 in July 1920.
Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval Historical Center.
Online Image: 45KB; 740 x 570 pixels
Page made 24 January 2007