Motor Tug No. 86, a 54-ton, 65-foot wooden-hulled craft propelled by a four-cylinder gasoline engine, was built at the Mare Island Navy Yard, California. Placed in service on 30 November 1918, she served her entire career at San Diego, California. The tug was classified YT-86 when the Navy implemented its standard hull classification system in July 1920, was renamed Motor Tug No. 1 and reclassified YMT-1 in 1929 when the motor tugs were given their own hull symbol, and lost her name and became YTL-86 in May 1944 when the classification scheme for all Navy tugs was overhauled. YTL-86 was placed out of service in January 1946, stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in February 1946 and sold by the War Shipping Administration in September 1946.
This page features the only view we have concerning U.S. Navy Motor Tug No. 86 (YT-86), Motor Tug No. 1 (YMT-1) and YTL-86.
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 104621
U. S. Navy Motor Tug No. 1 (YMT-1)
Photographed circa the late 1930s, probably at San Diego, California. Before 1929 this craft was known as Motor Tug No. 86 (YT-86).
Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval Historical Center.
Online Image: 80KB; 740 x 610 pixels
Page made 24 January 2007