USS Miller (DE-1091; later FF-1091), 1973-1991



USS Miller, a 3963-ton Knox class escort ship, was built at Westwego, Louisiana. Commissioned in June 1973, her active service was performed with the Atlantic Fleet, including deployments to the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, the Persian Gulf and the Black Sea. In July 1975, she was reclassified as a frigate and designated FF-1091. Miller transferred to the Naval Reserve Force in January 1982, and thereafter was employed in the western Atlantic and Caribbean areas. She decommissioned in October 1991 and was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in 1995. The Miller was sold to Turkey in 1999 and sunk in a live fire exercise in 2001.

USS Miller was named in honor of Cook Third Class Doris Miller (1919-1943), who won the Navy Cross for heroism during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.


Click photograph for a larger image.

Photo #: K-103414

USS Miller (DE-1091)


Underway off Cape Henry, Virginia, 20 May 1974.


Official U.S. Navy Photograph.

Online Image: 102KB; 740 x 620

Reproductions may be available through the National Archives.
Though reproductions of this photo from the NHHC collections are available in black & white, those from the National Archives should be available in color.

 
Photo #: K-101952

USS Miller (DE-1091)


Passing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, at Cape Henry, Virginia, 27 November 1973.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph.

Online Image: 75KB; 740 x 520

Reproductions may be available through the National ArchivesThough reproductions of this photo from the NHHC collections are available in black & white, those from the National Archives should be available in color.

 
Photo #: NH 94600-KN (Color)

"Black History" Poster


Featuring Navy Cross winner Doris Miller and the ship named in his honor, USS Miller (FF-1091).
The original artwork was created circa 1976 by William M. Moser, of the Navy Recruiting Command.

NHHC Collection

Online Image: 93KB; 740 x 615

 
Photo #: NH 79367-KN (Color)

Insignia of USS Miller (DE-1091)


Emblem adopted in 1973, when the ship was first commissioned.

NHHC Collection

Online Image: 107KB; 590 x 610

 


For higher resolution images see: Obtaining Photographic Reproductions



About Us | Privacy Policy | Webmaster | FOIA request | Navy.mil | This is a US Navy website