Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Leyden (1865-1903)

USS Leyden, a steam tug, was built for the Navy at Chelsea, Massachusetts, in 1865. She served along the New England coast until the Spanish-American War, when she was assigned to duties off Cuba. After 1898, Leyden continued to operate in the western Atlantic and the Caribbean. She was lost off Block Island, New York, in January 1903.

This page features selected views of USS Leyden.

If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 265

USS Leyden (1865-1903)


U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 52,099 bytes; 740 x 445 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 85645

U.S. Navy Tugs in port, circa April 1898


Halftone photo, published in War in Cuba, 1898.
These ships include (left to right):
USS Algonquin (1898-1946, renamed Accomac on 15 June 1898 and Nottoway in 1920);
USS Leyden (1865-1903); and
USS Sioux (1898-1921, renamed Nyack in 1918).
Note sailors rowing a small boat in right foreground.

Courtesy of Alfred Cellier, 1977.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 79,477 bytes; 750 x 575 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

2 October 1998