Lake Harris, a 2217 gross ton freighter, was built at Ashtabula, Ohio, and completed in July 1918. She was commissioned at Montreal, Canada, on 7 August 1918 as USS Lake Harris (ID # 4429-A) and, like most of the small Great Lakes-built cargo ships acquired by the Navy at this time, was assigned to carry coal from Wales and northern Ireland to France for use by the U.S. Army. Lake Harris departed Montreal in August 1918 and was then continuously engaged in the Army coal trade until July 1919, when she departed Wales for Philadelphia. After being inspected and repaired, the freighter was decommissioned on 5 September 1919 and returned to the U.S. Shipping Board. She was scrapped in 1928.
This page features the only view we have concerning S.S. Lake Harris and USS Lake Harris.
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 398
USS Lake Harris (ID # 4429-A)
Leaving #1 Dry Dock at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, probably circa August 1919 while preparing for decommissioning. This ship was built in 1918 and was in commission from 7 August 1918 to 5 September 1919.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 58KB; 740 x 480 pixels
Page made 29 November 2007