US NAVY SHIPS

USS Kenneth L. McNeal (SP-333), 1917-1919
Also called McNeal.
Originally the civilian fishing vessel Kenneth L. McNeal (1913)

Kenneth L. McNeal, a 331 gross ton "Menhaden Fisherman" type fishing vessel built in 1913 at Solomon's Island, Maryland, was purchased by the Navy in late May 1917. Placed in commission that August as USS Kenneth L. McNeal (SP-333), her name had already been officially shortened to McNeal, but the longer original name also continued in use.

Between late August and mid-September 1917, Kenneth L. McNeal crossed the Atlantic to Brest, France. She spent the rest of World War I, and a few months after the 11 November 1918 Armistice, working as a minesweeper along the Brittany coast. Damaged in February 1919, she remained in France until decommissioned in September and sold.

This page features all the views we have concerning USS Kenneth L. McNeal (SP-333).

Photo #: NH 89790

USS Kenneth L. McNeal
(SP-333)

At the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia on 19 August 1917.
Two 110-foot submarine chasers (SC) are under construction in the left background, and the stern of the collier Cyclops is barely visible at right.
Note Kenneth L. McNeal's camouflage scheme, which looks as if she has been painted to resemble a cloud formation.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 64 KB; 900 x 500 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 107330

USS Kenneth L. McNeal
(SP-333)

Off Lorient, France, circa 1918.
She has the numeral "1" painted on her bow.
At the time this photograph was taken, this ship's name had been formally shortened to McNeal.

Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2011.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 99 KB; 900 x 690 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 45084

Lorient, France


View taken on 4 July 1918, showing U.S. Navy minesweepers in the right center, alongside the dock at Base 19. The French Navy machinist school is at left.
The inboard ship is a hulk, presumably an old French warship employed as a harbor support vessel. Minesweepers tied up outboard of it include (from left to right):
USS Cahill (SP-493)
USS Douglas (SP-313)
USS Hinton (SP-485)
USS Courtney (SP-375) and
USS McNeal (SP-333)
These former fishing vessels were originally known by their civilian names, respectively: Winfield S. Cahill, Otis W. Douglas, John B. Hinton, Warren J. Courtney and Kenneth L. McNeal. Though ordered shortened to surnames by a July 1917 Navy General Order, the longer names were often used afterwards.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 72 KB; 900 x 535 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 107331

USS Kenneth L. McNeal
(SP-333)

Ship's mascot dog posing atop a bollard, while she was at Lorient, France in 1918.

Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2011.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 63 KB; 670 x 925 pixels

 



For higher resolution images see: Obtaining Photographic Reproductions

To the best of our knowledge, the pictures referenced here are all in the Public Domain, and can therefore be freely downloaded and used for any purpose.





About Us | Privacy Policy | Webmaster | FOIA request | Navy.mil | This is a US Navy website