US NAVY SHIPS

USS John B. Hinton (SP-485), 1917-1919
Also called Hinton
Originally the civilian fishing vessel John B. Hinton (1912)

John B. Hinton, a 309 gross ton "Menhaden Fisherman" type fishing vessel built in 1912 at Pocomoke City, Maryland, was acquired by the Navy for World War I service. When placed in commission in August 1917, her name had already been officially shortened to Hinton (SP-485) by Navy General Order # 314, but the original name John B. Hinton also continued to be used.

Soon after commissioning, John B. Hinton crossed the Atlantic to begin wartime service in the waters of Brittany, France. She was mainly employed as a minesweeper during the remainder of the war and well into 1919. Decommissioned in September 1919 at Brest, France, John B. Hinton was sold to a firm in French Morocco.

This page features all the views we have concerning USS John B. Hinton (SP-485) and the fishing vessel John B. Hinton of 1912.

Photo #: NH 52018

USS John B. Hinton
(SP-485)

At the Norfolk Navy Yard, Virginia on 18 August 1917.
The camouflaged ship partially visible in the right background is USS Warren J. Courtney (SP-375).
By a July 1917 Navy General Order, these former civilian fishing vessels' names were ordered shortened to surnames only. However, their longer names often continued to be used.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 102 KB; 900 x 725 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 107337

USS John B. Hinton
(SP-485)

Tied up at Lorient, France, circa 1918.
She has the numeral "6" painted on her bow.
At the time this photograph was taken, this ship's name had been formally shortened to Hinton.
Two other "Menhaden Fisherman" type minesweepers are tied up beyond John B. Hinton, with their smokestacks and masts visible. The stern of another is visible at right.

Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2011.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 86 KB; 900 x 685 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 45084

Lorient, France


View taken on 4 July 1918, showing U.S. Navy minesweepers in the right center, alongside the dock at Base 19. The French Navy machinist school is at left.
The inboard ship is a hulk, presumably an old French warship employed as a harbor support vessel. Minesweepers tied up outboard of it include (from left to right):
USS Cahill (SP-493),
USS Douglas (SP-313),
USS Hinton (SP-485),
USS Courtney (SP-375), and
USS McNeal (SP-333).
These former fishing vessels were originally known by their civilian names, respectively: Winfield S. Cahill, Otis W. Douglas, John B. Hinton, Warren J. Courtney and Kenneth L. McNeal. Though ordered shortened to surnames by a July 1917 Navy General Order, the longer names were often used afterwards.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 72 KB; 900 x 535 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 53332

USS John B. Hinton
(SP-485)

Officers on board the ship, at Lorient, France in 1918. They are (from left to right):
Lieutenant Commander Fred L. Blaisdell,
Lieutenant Commander Archibald McGlasson, John B. Hinton's Commanding Officer, and
Commander Lemuel M. Stevens, Senior Aide to the Lorient District Commander.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 53 KB; 900 x 560 pixels

 



For higher resolution images see: Obtaining Photographic Reproductions

To the best of our knowledge, the pictures referenced here are all in the Public Domain, and can therefore be freely downloaded and used for any purpose.





About Us | Privacy Policy | Webmaster | FOIA request | Navy.mil | This is a US Navy website