Harbor Tug No. 79, a 215-ton, 88-foot long wooden-hulled tug propelled by a single cylinder steam engine, was built at Morris Heights, New York, and was commissioned in March 1919. She was one of 40 sisters (Harbor Tugs Nos. 46-85) ordered by the Navy in May and June 1918 as part of its World War I emergency shipbuilding effort. Assigned to duty at Charleston, South Carolina, she moved there during the summer of 1919. She was classified YT-79 when the Navy implemented its standard hull classification system in July 1920. Harbor Tug No. 79 was decommissioned in March 1922 and was sold in October 1922.
This page features the only views we have concerning U.S. Navy Harbor Tug No. 79 (later YT-79).
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 104674
U. S. Navy Harbor Tug No. 79 or Harbor Tug No. 84
Probably photographed soon after completion in 1919. This photo is identified both as Harbor Tug No. 79 and as Harbor Tug No. 84. If the photo was taken at the yard of the tug's builder, it is more likely Harbor Tug No. 79, built at Morris Heights, New York, opposite the northern end of Manhattan Island, than Harbor Tug No. 84, built further south at Brooklyn, New York.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph,
Online Image: 62KB; 550 x 765 pixels
Photo #: NH 104706
U. S. Navy "Wood Harbor Tug"
Outboard profile of the Harbor Tug No. 46 class (Nos 46 through 85). This plan by the Navy's Bureau of Construction and Repair is dated 25 April 1919 and is signed by the bureau's chief, Naval Constructor David W. Taylor, USN. Its number is C&R No. 60815.
These tugs measured 88 feet in length and 20 feet in beam, displaced 215 tons, and had a designed speed of 10 knots.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 59KB; 740 x 435 pixels
Page made 1 May 2007