USS H-8 was a 358-ton H-4 class submarine that had originally been fabricated at Groton, Connecticut, for the Russian Navy. In May 1918, after the Russian revolution stopped delivery to her intended owners, the U.S. Navy purchased her in disassembled condition. Construction was completed at the Puget Sound Navy Yard and the submarine was placed in commission in mid-November 1918. H-8 was soon sent to San Pedro, California, her base for operations along the Pacific Coast during the next three and a half years. In July 1920, when the Navy implemented its hull number system, she was designated SS-151. The submarine moved to Norfolk, Virginia, during July-September 1922 and was decommissioned in November of that year. Following more than eight years in reserve, USS H-8 was stricken from the Navy list in February 1931 and sold for scrapping in November 1933.
This page features the only view we have concerning USS H-8 (Submarine # 151, later SS-151).
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 53611
USS H-8 (SS-151)
Underway, circa 1922.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 68KB; 740 x 470 pixels
Page made 20 May 2004