USS H-4, one of a class of six 358-ton submarines built at Groton, Connecticut, for the Russian Government, was not delivered due to the outbreak of the 1917 revolution in that country. Stored disassembled at Vancouver, Washington, these vessels were purchased by the United States in May 1918 and completed at the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington. H-4 was commissioned in October 1918 and operated along the West Coast for the next three and a half years. In July-September 1922 H-4 and her sisters voyaged from San Pedro, California, to Norfolk, Virginia, where she was placed out of commission in October of that year. After more than eight years in reserve USS H-4 was stricken from the Navy List in late February 1931. She was sold for scrapping in September 1931.
This page features the only view we have concerning USS H-4 (Submarine # 147, later SS-147).
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 53607
USS H-4 (SS-147)
Underway, circa 1922.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 82KB; 740 x 485 pixels
Page made 7 May 2004