Dekaury, a 260-ton harbor tug built at Jacksonville, Florida, was placed in service in early 1943. Initially assigned to the First Naval District, in New England, she was reclassified YTB-178 in May 1944. In 1946, she was transferred to the 12th Naval District, in the San Francisco Bay area. Laid up in 1947-50, Dekaury was returned to service at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard in September 1950 and remained active into the 1980s. Reclassified YTM-178 in the 1960s, she was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in September 1985.
This page features our only view of Dekaury.
If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 84584
USS Rochester (CA-124)
Departing the Mare Island Naval Shipyard, California, 20 September 1953, following overhaul. She has been fitted with 3"/50 twin automatic gun mounts, replacing the 40mm guns she carried from 1946 to 1953.
Tugs Dekaury (YTB-178) --at left-- and Awatobi (YTB-264) -- alongside her starboard side, forward-- are assisting her.
Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval Historical Center.
Online Image: 99KB; 740 x 584 pixels
4 August 1999