USS Dolphin, a 1486-ton steel dispatch vessel, was built at Chester, Pennsylvania, as one of the first ships of the "New Navy". Commissioned in December 1885, she steamed around the World during her first three years' service, and then served off the U.S. east coast and in the West Indies area for the next three decades. For much of this time, Dolphin was employed in support of high-ranking Government officials, as well as on more conventional gunboat-type duties. The latter employment was recognized when she was redesignated PG-24 in about 1920. Decommissioned in October 1921, Dolphin was sold in February 1922.
This page features a selected view of USS Dolphin.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 69188
USS Dolphin (1885-1922)
Photographed during the 1890s.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 53,205 bytes; 740 x 625 pixels
24 September 1998