USS Choctaw, a 152-ton tug, was built in 1892 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the civilian tug C.G. Coyle. Purchased for Spanish-American War service, she was stationed in the Gulf of Mexico.
Following the war, Choctaw was variously assigned to the Portsmouth, Norfolk, and Washington Navy Yards. She was renamed Wicomico in February 1918. Returning to Norfolk in April 1921, she operated there until February 1940, when she was sunk in a collision. Although salvaged, Wicomico was sold for scrapping the following August.
This page features a selected view of USS Choctaw.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 55161
USS Choctaw (1898-1940)
Photographed in 1898, following conversion for U.S. Navy service.
Note searchlight atop her pilothouse.
This tug was renamed Wicomico in 1918.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 54,510 bytes; 740 x 605 pixels
24 September 1998