Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Photo # NH 44901:  USS Lewes (ex-City of Lewes) and other minesweepers moored at Lorient, France, in 1918

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS City of Lewes (SP-383), 1917-1919.
Also known as Lewes

USS City of Lewes, a 254 gross ton patrol vessel and minesweeper, was built at Milford, Delaware, in 1912 as a civilian fishing vessel with the same name. Purchased by the Navy in May 1917 and placed in commission in that month, her name was officially shortened in July 1917 to Lewes, though the original longer name also continued to be used. In August and September 1917 she voyaged across the Atlantic to take up escort and patrol duties along the coast of France. This service, along with sweeping work to keep the region free of German mines, was performed for the rest of World War I, and the mine clearance effort continued into 1919. USS Lewes was decommissioned at Brest, France, in September 1919 and sold.

This page features all the views we have related to USS City of Lewes (SP-383).


If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 44901

"Menhaden Fisherman" type of converted minesweepers


Moored at Lorient, France, in 1918.
These ships are identified as USS Anderton (SP-530), USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429). Anderton is the middle ship, with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse.
The ships were originally named Raymond J. Anderton, City of Lewes and W.T. James. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.
Note the racks, holding two depth charges each, mounted on two of these minesweepers, and the numeral "9" on the stern of the ship on the right.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 88KB; 740 x 440 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 53596

"Menhaden Fisherman" type converted minesweepers


During a review of U.S. and French ships in Lorient harbor, France, 29 November 1918.
The ship at left is USS Hubbard (SP-416). USS Anderton (SP-530) is in the center, with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse. Probably also present are USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429).
The ships were originally named B.H.B. Hubbard, Raymond J. Anderton, City of Lewes and W.T. James. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 65KB; 740 x 410 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 44900

"Menhaden Fisherman" type of converted minesweepers


Off Lorient, France, probably during a review of U.S. and French ships on 29 November 1918.
Four of these ships are identified as USS Hubbard (SP-416) USS Anderton (SP-530), USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429). Hubbard is in the foreground, wearing the number "8". Anderton is the third ship from the front (only partially visible), with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse.
The ships were originally named B.H.B. Hubbard, Raymond J. Anderton, City of Lewes and W.T. James. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 57KB; 740 x 495 pixels

 


If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."


Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

Page made 3 November 2002
New image added 11 January 2004