USS Condor, an 88-ton coastal minesweeper, was built in 1937 at Tacoma, Washington, as a civilian fishing boat. Under the name New Example, she was acquired by the Navy in October 1940 for conversion to a minecraft. Placed in service in April 1941, she arrived at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in May to take up her duties protecting that vital fleet base from possible enemy minelaying activities. A few hours prior to the Japanese attack of 7 December 1941, Condor detected a Japanese midget submarine off the harbor entrance and reported it to the patrolling destroyer Ward. The ensuing attack by Ward represented the first shots of the great Pacific war between Japan and the United States.
Condor continued her service in the Hawaiian Islands area for the remainder of World War II. Sent back to the west coast in late 1945, she was placed out of service in January 1946 and stricken from the List of District Craft the following month. USS Condor was turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal in July 1946.
This page features our only view of USS Condor (AMc-14).
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: 19-N-24615
USS Condor (AMc-14)
Photographed in 1941, probably off San Diego, California.
Photograph from the Bureau of Ships Collection in the U.S. National Archives.
Online Image: 91KB; 740 x 605 pixels
Reproductions of this image may also be available through the National Archives photographic reproduction system.
Page made 3 February 2001