Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Photo # NH 99079:  USS B.H.B. Hubbard, probably at the Norfolk Navy Yard, circa summer 1917

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS B.H.B. Hubbard (SP-416), 1917-1919.
Also known as Hubbard

USS B.H.B. Hubbard, a 400-ton patrol vessel and minesweeper, was built at Wilmington, Delaware, in 1911 as the steam fishing trawler of the same name. She was purchased by the Navy in June 1917 and placed in commission in mid-August. Under the terms of General Order # 314, issued in late July 1917, her name was officially shortened to Hubbard, but the longer original name also continued in use. She went to western French waters, by way of the Azores, in October 1917 and for the rest of the First World War was employed escorting coastal convoys and in minesweeping tasks. The latter function continued after the 11 November 1918 Armistice, since mines were unable to recognize that fighting had ceased. B.H.B. Hubbard attempted to return to the U.S. in April 1919, but the effort was thwarted by bad weather and she returned to France. After further service carrying cargo, in October 1919 she was decommissioned at Brest, France, and sold back to the Norfolk, Virginia, fishing company that had owned her prior to her time in the Navy.

This page features all the views we have related to USS B.H.B. Hubbard (SP-416).


If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 99079

USS B.H.B. Hubbard
(SP-416)

In port, probably at the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, circa summer 1917.
Note the camouflage applied to her bow, and the elaborately camouflaged ship partially visible at right.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 65KB; 740 x 395 pixels

High-Resolution Image:
A large (4100 x 2100 pixels, 500 dpi) TIF format digital image of this photograph is available as Photo # NH 99079 (TIF).
CAUTION! -- This is a very large
(5.8 MEGABYTE) file. Download times may be lengthy!

 
Photo #: NH 44900

"Menhaden Fisherman" type of converted minesweepers


Off Lorient, France, probably during a review of U.S. and French ships on 29 November 1918.
Four of these ships are identified as USS Hubbard (SP-416) USS Anderton (SP-530), USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429). Hubbard is in the foreground, wearing the number "8". Anderton is the third ship from the front (only partially visible), with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse.
The ships were originally named B.H.B. Hubbard, Raymond J. Anderton, City of Lewes and W.T. James. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 57KB; 740 x 495 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 53597

USS Hubbard
(SP-416)

During a review of U.S. and French ships in Lorient harbor, France, 29 November 1918.
This ship was originally named B.H.B. Hubbard. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 72KB; 740 x 440 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 53596

"Menhaden Fisherman" type converted minesweepers


During a review of U.S. and French ships in Lorient harbor, France, 29 November 1918.
The ship at left is USS Hubbard (SP-416). USS Anderton (SP-530) is in the center, with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse. Probably also present are USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429).
The ships were originally named B.H.B. Hubbard, Raymond J. Anderton, City of Lewes and W.T. James. A Navy Department general order in July 1917 ordered section patrol (SP) boat names shortened to surnames only.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 65KB; 740 x 410 pixels

 


If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."


Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

Page made 11 January 2004
Link changed 17 April 2004