Apohola, a 260-ton harbor tug, was built at Stamford, Connecticut. Delivered in January 1946, she was initially placed in service at San Diego, California. In 1947, she was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia. Apohola was reclassified YTM-768 in the 1960s and continued her active service at Norfolk until February 1976, when she was placed in reserve. She was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in May 1986 and sold for scrap in April 1987.
This page features our only view of Apohola.
If you want higher resolution reproductions than the Online Library's digital images, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: 80-G-670850
Ship's bow being transported on a large crane barge from Newport News, Virginia, to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, circa May-June 1956.
It was used to repair USS Wisconsin (BB-64), which had been damaged in a collision on 6 May 1956.
Tug closest to camera is Alamingo (YTB-227). Tug on other side of barge is Apohola (YTB-502).
Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.
Online Image: 75KB; 620 x 690 pixels
Reproductions of this image may also be available through the National Archives photographic reproduction system.
30 January 1999