USS Amphitrite, a 3990-ton double-turret monitor, was constructed over two decades, from 1874 to 1895. Prior to the Spanish-American War, she was employed along the U.S. east coast, and served in the Caribbean during that conflict. After 1898, Amphitrite remained active as a training and station ship and guarded the approaches to New York Harbor during the First World War.
The monitor was decommissioned in 1919 and sold the following year. Her new civilian owners converted her into a floating hotel, and she was not scrapped until 1952.
This page features a selected view of USS Amphitrite.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 58949
USS Amphitrite (BM-2)
At the Boston Navy Yard, Charlestown, MA, during the 1890s.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 54,950 bytes; 740 x 585 pixels
24 September 1998