USS Athanasia, a 7435-ton (limiting displacement) Kerstin class store ship, was built at Beaumont, Texas, as a Maritime Commission R1-M-AV3 type refrigerator ship. She was acquired by the Navy upon completion in March 1945 and placed in commission early in April. Later in that month she began a voyage to the Pacific with a cargo of provisions. After stops at Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok and Ulithi, she arrived in the Ryukyu Islands in late June 1945, where she offloaded her cargo. Athanasia then returned to Pearl Harbor and arrived back at Okinawa in early September, two days after Japan's surrender ended the Second World War. While en route to Seattle, Washington, in mid-October, she ran aground in dense fog off British Columbia. Refloated several days later, she was taken to Seattle for repairs. USS Athanasia was decommissioned in December 1945 and turned over to the War Shipping Administration. She was laid up at Suisun Bay, California, in January 1946 and remained there until June 1977, when she was sold for nontransportation use.
This page features the only view we have concerning USS Athanasia (AF-41).
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 82184
USS Athanasia (AF-41)
Anchored in San Francisco Bay, California, circa 1945.
Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson, 1975.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 72KB; 740 x 620 pixels
Page made 8 April 2005