USS Active, a 296-ton tug, was built for commercial use at San Francisco, California, in 1888. The Navy acquired her in April 1898 while preparing for the Spanish-American War. She was renamed USS Lively in 1918 and remained in service on the U.S. west coast until decommissioned in 1926.
Lively was sold in 1930, when she again became a commercial tug. Chartered for World War II Navy service in March 1942 and designated YT-323 (YTM-323 from 1944), she operated in west coast and Alaskan waters. At the end of the War, the tug was returned to her owners. She was finally scrapped in 1963.
This page features a selected view of USS Active in 1898.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 57711
USS Active (1898-1930, 1942-45)
At the Mare Island Navy Yard, California, circa July 1898.
Note damage to buildings in the background, caused by an earthquake the previous March.
This tug was renamed Lively in 1918, and returned to service during World War II as YT-323.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 74,328 bytes; 740 x 605 pixels
24 September 1998