Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- SHIPS of the U.S. COAST GUARD, REVENUE CUTTER SERVICE and LIGHTHOUSE SERVICE --

USLHT/USCGC Mangrove (1897-1947, later WAGL-232)

USLHT Mangrove, a 821-ton light house tender, was built at Elizabethport, New Jersey, in 1897. She served the Light House Service and Coast Guard as a navigation aids tender for nearly fifty years. In the Spanish-American War, and during both World Wars, Mangrove served with the U.S. Navy. She was classified WAGL-232 during the Second World War. Soon after the end of that conflict, she was decommissioned and was sold for scrapping in March 1947.

This page features 1898 views of and on board USLHT Mangrove.

If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 85646

U.S. Light House Tender Mangrove (1897- 1947)


Halftone photograph, taken during the Spanish-American War, 1898, and published in the contemporary book War in Cuba.

Courtesy of Alfred Cellier, 1977.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 83,743 bytes; 740 x 480 pixels

 


The following photograph shows a scene on board the Light House Tender Mangrove:

Photo #: NH 46764

USS Maine Court of Inquiry, 1898.


Members of the Navy Court of Inquiry examining Ensign Wilfrid V. Powelson, on board the U.S. Light House Tender Mangrove, in Havana Harbor, Cuba, circa March 1898.
Those seated around the table include (from left to right): Captain French E. Chadwick, Captain William T. Sampson, Lieutenant Commander William P. Potter, Ensign W.V. Powelson, Lieutenant Commander Adolph Marix.
Photograph copied from Uncle Sam's Navy, 12 April 1898.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 92,583 bytes; 740 x 625 pixels

 

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

17 October 1998