West Eldara, a 5808 gross ton cargo ship built at Seattle, Washington, was taken over by the Navy upon completion in November 1918, a few weeks after the Armistice ended the First World War's fighting. Commissioned as USS West Eldara (ID # 3704), she left the West Coast in late December, en route to New York. There the steamer loaded a cargo of food, which she carried to Turkey during the first two months of 1919. On her second voyage, beginning in April, West Eldara transported U.S. Army supplies to England. She returned to the U.S. in May and, in early June, was decommissioned and transferred to the Shipping Board. Sold to private owners in 1937 and renamed Mae, she operated commercially until sunk by the German submarine U-515 on 16 September 1942.
This page features our only view of the freighter West Eldara, which was USS West Eldara (ID # 3704) in 1918-1919.
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 65049-A
West Eldara (American Freighter, 1918)
Afloat immediately after launching, at the Skinner & Eddy Corporation shipyard, Seattle, Washington, 14 October 1918. Photographed by Frank H. Nowell, 1212 Fourth Avenue, Seattle.
This ship acquired by the Navy on 23 November 1918 and placed in commission as USS West Eldara (ID # 3704). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 4 June 1919.
The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 85KB; 740 x 615 pixels
Page made 7 January 2004