Columbia, a 96 gross ton harbor tug, was built in 1892 by Ducan Robinson at Grand Haven, Michigan. She was rebuilt in 1918, when she was owned by Margaret McCambridge of Greenport, Brooklyn, New York. The tug was inspected by the Third Naval District in mid-August 1918 and assigned the Navy registry ID # 3252. Though she was ordered taken over for Naval service, it appears that this action was not carried out and Columbia remained in private hands.
This page features the only views we have concerning the harbor tug Columbia of 1892.
|If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."|
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 100867
Columbia (American Harbor Tug, 1892)
In port, possibly when inspected by the Third Naval District on 13 August 1918. She was assigned U.S. Navy registry ID # 3252.
Though ordered taken over for Naval service on 31 August 1918, Columbia appears to have remained in the custody of her owner, Margaret McCambridge of Greenport, Brooklyn, New York.
The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 52KB; 430 x 765 pixels
Possible additional image: Photo # NH 85643 shows a New York Harbor tug named Columbia, which may be the same vessel as this page's subject.
Page made 24 March 2005