Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:

Rear Admiral Samuel G. Fuqua, USN, (1899-1987)

Samuel Glenn Fuqua was born in Laddonia, Missouri, on 15 October 1899. After a year at the University of Missouri and World War I service in the Army, he entered the U.S. Naval Academy in July 1919. Following graduation and commissioning in June 1923, he served in the battleship Arizona, destroyer McDonough and battleship Mississippi before receiving shore duty at San Francisco, California, in 1930-32. Lieutenant Fuqua served in other ships and shore stations during the mid-1930s, and was Commanding Officer of the minesweeper Bittern in the Asiatic Fleet in 1937-39.

After service at the Naval Training Station, Great Lakes, Illinois, in 1939-41, Lieutenant Commander Fuqua returned to USS Arizona as the ship's Damage Control Officer and First Lieutenant, and was on board her during Japan's 7 December 1941 raid on Pearl Harbor. Though knocked unconscious by a bomb that hit the ship's stern early in the attack, he subsequently directed fire fighting and rescue efforts. After the ship's forward magazines exploded, he was her senior surviving officer and was responsible for saving her remaining crewmen. For his distinguished conduct and heroism at that time, he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

During most of 1942, Fuqua was an officer of the cruiser Tuscaloosa. In 1943-44, he was assigned to duty at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and attended the Naval War College. Captain Fuqua was Operations Officer for Commander Seventh Fleet in January-August 1945, helping to plan and execute several amphibious operations in the Philippines and Borneo area. Following the War, he served in other staff positions, and in 1949-50 commanded the destroyer tender Dixie. After service as Chief of Staff of the Eighth Naval District, he retired from active duty in July 1953, receiving at that time the rank of Rear Admiral on the basis of his combat awards. Rear Admiral Samuel G. Fuqua died at Decatur, Georgia, on 27 January 1987.

This page features our only view of Rear Admiral Samuel G. Fuqua, USN.

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the "Online Library's" digital images, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 92306

Commander Samuel Glenn Fuqua, USN

Who was awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism and distinguished conduct in action while serving on board USS Arizona (BB-39) during the 7 December 1941 Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor. He was a Lieutenant Commander at that time.
Halftone reproduction, copied from the official publication "Medal of Honor, 1861-1948, The Navy", page 189.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 93KB; 590 x 765 pixels


Medal of Honor citation of Captain Samuel Glenn Fuqua (as printed in the official publication "Medal of Honor, 1861-1949, The Navy", page 189):

"For distinguished conduct in action, outstanding heroism, and utter disregard of his own safety, above and beyond the call of duty during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. Upon the commencement of the attack, Lieutenant Commander Fuqua rushed to the quarterdeck of the U.S.S. Arizona to which he was attached where he was stunned and knocked down by the explosion of a large bomb which hit the quarterdeck, penetrated several decks, and started a severe fire. Upon regaining consciousness, he began to direct the fighting of the fire and the rescue of wounded and injured personnel. Almost immediately there was a tremendous explosion forward, which made the ship appear to rise out of the water, shudder and settle down by the bow rapidly. The whole forward part of the ship was enveloped in flames which were spreading rapidly, and wounded and burned men were pouring out of the ship to the quarterdeck. Despite these conditions, his harrowing experience, and severe enemy bombing and strafing, at the time, Lieutenant Commander Fuqua continued to direct the fighting of fires in order to check them while the wounded and burned could be taken from the ship, and supervised the rescue of these men in such an amazingly calm and cool manner and with such excellent judgement, that it inspired everyone who saw him and undoubtedly resulted in the saving of many lives. After realizing that the ship could not be saved and that he was the senior surviving officer aboard, he directed that it be abandoned, but continued to remain on the quarterdeck and directed abandoning ship and rescue of personnel until satisified that all personnel that could be had been saved, after which he left the ship with the (last) boatload. The conduct of Lieutenant Commander Fuqua was not only in keeping with the highest traditions of the Naval Service but characterizes him as an outstanding leader of men."

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the "Online Library's" digital images, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

Page made 30 December 2000