Photo #: NH 57931
Washington Navy Yard, D.C.
View in the northwestern part of the Navy Yard, taken by Brady & Company in June 1866. The U.S. Capitol dome is visible in the center distance.
Note stacks of round shot in the area, and the old cannon on exhibit in the left center foreground. The small double-roofed building in the center bears a Bureau of Ordnance shield and a sign stating that it is "Cap House No. 1".
The photograph looks north-northwest toward the tower that then marked the Yard's northwestern corner. Camera location is somewhat east of the present (1997) Building # 105.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 153KB; 740 x 615 pixels
Note: For more information on where this photograph was taken, see: Washington Navy Yard -- Comments on 1860s Views.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
If you want higher resolution reproductions than this digital image, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
30 November 2001