Photo #: NH 51993
Admiral Graf Spee (German Armored Ship, 1936)
Photograph looking aft from atop the ship's forward superstructure tower, showing the partially collapsed smokestack structure, aircraft catapult and after port side (Number Eight) 15cm gun in the lower part of the image. Aft of the catapult, on the centerline, are the wreckage of the after main battery rangefinder and director, a small open ship control station, the after twin 10.5 anti-aircraft gun mounting, a loading machine, and the after triple 28cm (eleven-inch) gun turret. The turret's top was blown off and the guns blown out by explosions when the ship was scuttled. Torpedo tubes mounted on the after deck are underwater.
The sketch below identifies items seen in the photograph.
Taken on board the ship's wreck in the River Plate, near Montevideo, Uruguay, where she had been scuttled in December 1939.
Page from an intelligence report prepared by USS Helena (CL-50) during her shakedown cruise to South America. The photograph was taken on 2 February 1940 by Ensign Richard D. Sampson, USN. See Photo # NH 51993-A for a cropped version of this image, showing only the photograph.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 109KB; 960 x 1225 pixels
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
If you want higher resolution reproductions than this digital image, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
Image posted 20 August 2006