Photo #: NH 46251
"From the Ironclad Merrimac"
Halftone reproduction of an artwork, published in the "Richmond Magazine", 1930, depicting a purported section of the conning tower of CSS Virginia (ex-USS Merrimack).
The following text accompanied this illustration: "... Number 6 North Second Street live the descendants of Captain Catesby Ap Roger Jones, who commanded the Merrimac. In this house also lived that gallant soldier, Major Ap Catesby Jones, who lost an arm at Gettysburg. At the back of the house are brick walks and curved brick walls, mellowed to a patina which would delight the soul of a landscape gardener. The walls, the old brick walks, the ancient ivy, all combine in a cloistered peace. Peace now, but in this old garden lies a souvenir of war. Buried in a flower bed, is no less than a part of the conning tower of the Merrimac. Here it lies in the middle of the garden, an every day object in the life of the family, and one is shown it with merely a wave of the hand as one looks out of the window."
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 143KB; 675 x 675 pixels
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
If you want higher resolution reproductions than this digital image, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."
9 May 2001